Jacksonville Community United Methodist Church
Saturday, June 15, 2024


  • 1790 Samuel Weyburn Family settles at Goodwin's Point
  • 1795 Revs. Valentine Cook, Thornton and Fleming preaching in the territory
  • 1801 David James, Seneca Rider, preaching at Jacksonville and Goodwin's Point
  • 1804 Methodist Class started with Benjamin Lanning, Leader
  • 1827 "Old Colonial Church" built
  • 1843 Reverend S.W. Alden, first resident preacher
  • 1855 Church remodeled: lecture and classrooms below and audience room on second floor. Addition of belfry or steeple
  • 1856 Bell purchased and still in use
  • 1859 Camp Meeting held on the Stout property, Kraft Road
  • 1873 A Garrett House Organ was purchased, electrified years later, and still being used
  • 1891 First reference to Epworth League, March 21
  • 1898 Old Church sold and moved five hundred feet up north Jacksonville Road for a town hall
              Cornerstone laid for new church on same site
              Dedication of new church. Only a small kitchen and furnace space provided in the basement
  • 1898-1905 A dining room constructed in the basement
  • 1905-1911 The Men's Brotherhood organized by the Reverend George L. Pasche
  • 1913 Boy Scout Troop started by the Reverend T.I.B. Walker
  • 1922 First children's story time every Sunday before the sermon by Reverend Ralph Smith
  • 1927 Vacation Bible School  started by the Reverend Albert Walker
  • 1928 Church sponsored Boy Scout Troop #22, which has been inactive for many years
  • 1930 Dedication of enlarged basement with room for primary and junior departments, dining room and kitchen by the Reverend Floyd Morris
  • 1946 March 31, dedication of renovated sanctuary, Reverend Arthur Moody and Bishop W. Earl Ledden
  • 1948 May 23, Golden Anniversary and dedication of stained glass windows
  • 1966 Classrooms for Jr. and Sr. High youth in basement
  • 1967 Two classrooms and hallway built upstairs in former Epworth League Room
  • 1979 Ramp for handicap accessibility built on south front entrance
  • 1981 July 21. Groundbreaking ceremony for new kitchen and fellowship hall (50' x 50' addition) on east side of basement, the Reverend Michael Cremean, pastor